All outdoor gardens are currently open. The Conservatory and public restrooms remain closed, due to the closure of the U.S. Capitol campus buildings. Please monitor www.USBG.gov for updates on operating status. USBG resources can be accessed online, including educational materials, virtual tours, and online programs by visiting www.USBG.gov/AtHome.
America's National Garden
2016 marked the 10th anniversary of the National Garden at the United States Botanic Garden. After five years of construction, the National Garden opened to the public on October 1, 2006. It provides "living laboratories" for environmental, horticultural and botanical education in a contemplative setting.
The National Garden is the result of a successful collaboration among the U.S. Congress, the Joint Committee on the Library, the National Fund for the U.S. Botanic Garden, the U.S. Botanic Garden and the Architect of the Capitol.
Not only is the National Garden a wonderful oasis on Capitol Hill, this feature of the U.S. Botanic Garden will also be a national treasure for generations to come.
National Garden Anniversary Related Programs [archive]
- May 20 and 21 - Tour the USBG Rose Garden
- June 10 - Lecture: Milkweeds and Orchids: Survival of the Most Efficient
- June 14 - Tour: Perim-a-Tour of the National Garden
- June 24 - Special Event: Pollinator Party
- June 24 - Lecture: Perfect Plant Hosts for Pollinators
- August 18 and 25 - Tour: Celebrating 10 Years of Trees in the National Garden
- September 8 - Tour: Nature in Motion
- September 9 - Lecture: Planting in a Post-Wild World
- September 15 - Special Event: 10th Anniversary National Garden Gala
- September 16 - Lecture: Old Roses in a Modern World
- September 17 - Special Event: The National Garden 10th Anniversary Celebration!
- September 22 - Tour: Autumn Equinox Evening Tree Tour
- September 28 - Lecture: Beauty, Integrity, and Resilience: Can a Garden Have Everything?
- October 5 - Special Event: Foraged Cocktails
- October 6 - Tour: Nature in Motion
- October 14 - Lecture: Networks for Life: Your Role in Stitching the Natural World Together
Ongoing 2016 Programming:
- Most Thursdays in June and July: Tour: Noon-time Stroll through the National Garden
- Most Monday June through September: Tour: The USBG National Garden
On May 11, 1994, six of the seven living first ladies attended a gala celebrating their efforts to create a new outdoor garden -- the National Garden at the United States Botanic Garden. The garden would be a living tribute to the accomplishments of the nation's first ladies.
The event was hosted by Merv Griffin and Phyllis George, and Representative Robert H. Michel sang the National Anthem. Following addresses by then-President and First Lady Bill and Hillary Clinton, Johnny Mathis entertained the audience.
Behind-the-Scenes: Six First Ladies waiting to go onstage at a gala celebrating their work to create the
National Garden at the United States Botanic Garden (1994; photo courtesy Clinton Foundation Library)