All outdoor gardens are currently open. The Conservatory and public restrooms remain closed, due to the closure of the U.S. Capitol campus buildings. Please monitor www.USBG.gov for updates on operating status. USBG resources can be accessed online, including educational materials, virtual tours, and online programs by visiting www.USBG.gov/AtHome.
Botanical Art Worldwide: America's Flora
May 4 - October 15, 2018
Opening in May of 2018, the American Society of Botanical Artists (ASBA) in collaboration with the United States Botanic Garden will present a juried exhibition of artworks of native plants, staged in the U.S. Botanic Garden's gallery space. The exhibition includes 46 original contemporary botanical artworks, juried from a field of over 200 entries. Slated to remain on view at the U.S. Botanic Garden through October 2018, the exhibition will then travel through the end of 2019.
ARTISTS IN RESIDENCE
- SEPT 3-9: Judy Thomas -- colored pencil, graphite (plants to draw: Nepenthes, Brighamia, Heliconia)
- SEPT 10-16: Paula Blair -- watercolor, graphite, colored pencil (plants to draw: succulent or orchid)
- SEPT 24-30: Molly Hoopes -- watercolor on hot press paper
- OCT 1-7: Elena Maza Borkland -- watercolor or colored pencil (plants to draw: black cotton (Gossypia nigra), orchids, Medinilla) See photos
- OCT 8-14: Vicki Malone -- colored pencil, graphite
- Joe Bailey (plant drawn: Trichocentrum "Ollie Palmer" orchid) See photos
- Anne Clippinger (plant drawn: Solanum aethiopicum) See photos
- Cynthia McCormick (plant drawn: Sarracenia leucophylla 'Tarnok') See photos
- Sue Fierston (plant drawn: Anemone x hybrida 'September Charm') See photos
WORLDWIDE DAY OF BOTANICAL ART
We celebrated the Worldwide Day of Botanical Art on May 18 with three programs for visitors to join in this day. See photos in this online album.
- Lecture: Botanical Art Worldwide: 6 Continents, 25 Countries, 1 Worldwide Project
- Meet the Artists: Botanical Art Worldwide: America's Flora
- Behind-the-Scenes: Botanical Art Worldwide: America's Flora