To limit the risk of transmitting COVID-19 coronavirus, the United States Botanic Garden (USBG) has changed its operations. The Conservatory and gated outdoor gardens are temporarily closed to the public while Bartholdi Park and the Terrace Gardens remain open. Please monitor this website for updates to operating status. Many resources can be accessed online, including educational materials, virtual tours, informational videos, and our fall programs will all be online. Connect with resources from home at www.USBG.gov/AtHome.
The graceful and fluid forms of the Fountain of Light and Water (frequently called Bartholdi Fountain) are based on Classical and Renaissance sculpture. The cast-iron fountain weighs more than 15 tons and stands 30 feet tall. It is an elegant expression of the Gilded Age and was intended as an allegory of light and water. The fountain appears on lists of American and international historically significant landmarks.
Frederic Auguste Bartholdi (1834-1904) is best known for creating the Statue of Liberty. Bartholdi created this cast-iron fountain for the 1876 Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia. The fountain, cast in Paris by A. Durenne, weighs 30,440 pounds, stands 30 feet high, and has caryatid figures 11 feet in height. Bartholdi saw its combination of iron, gas light and water as symbolically appropriate for a modern city.
The fountain was purchased by the U.S. Congress for $6,000 at the suggestion of Frederick Law Olmsted, the famous landscape architect who designed the U.S. Capitol Grounds. It was moved to Washington, D.C., in 1877 and placed at the base of Capitol Hill on what used to be Botanic Garden grounds.
The gas lamps, lighted by battery in 1881, made the fountain a popular attraction at night. The lights surrounding the basin were added in 1886, and the round glass globes replaced the original gas fixtures when the fountain was completely electrified in 1915.
During the relocation of the Botanic Garden in 1927, the fountain was dismantled and erected in its present location in 1932. Over the years, the fountain was regularly repaired and maintained.
From 2008 to 2011, it was taken off site for a full restoration and updated with energy-efficient systems and water treatment technology. This work ensures that Bartholdi Fountain will continue to provide enjoyment for many years to come.