All outdoor gardens are currently open. The Conservatory and public restrooms remain closed, due to the closure of the U.S. Capitol campus buildings. Please monitor www.USBG.gov for updates on operating status. USBG resources can be accessed online, including educational materials, virtual tours, and online programs by visiting www.USBG.gov/AtHome.
You Can Grow It!
extended to October 15, 2017
Conservatory Terrace and East Gallery
The world of horticulture is for everyone -- those with green thumbs and those green with envy. Growing and caring for plants might seem daunting, but this exhibit will help experienced and novice gardeners alike have more fruitful indoor and outdoor gardening experiences. Wander the exhibit gallery and outdoor gardens to explore the basics of growing plants and investigate solutions for many common plant problems. Along the way, discover foolproof plants, learn about the right plant for the right place and person, and even pick up a few specialty horticulture techniques for plants requiring a little extra care. Whatever your skill level, You Can Grow It has something for you!
Do you think you can't grow anything? Afraid you have a black thumb? These foolproof houseplants are for you! What makes a plant foolproof?
Survives neglect, tolerates low light, and an occasional lack of moisture, resists insects and diseases. All plants are living organisms and therefore require some care, but these houseplants are among the easiest to care for and are great choices for developing your green thumb.
Previous programs in this series:
- Feb. 16 - Workshop: Plant Propagation for Beginners
- Feb. 23 - Demonstration: Seasonal Soups
- Mar. 15 - Demonstration: Orchid Repotting
- Mar. 17 - Lecture: Everything Orchids
- Mar. 24 - Lecture: Coping with Deer: Shrubs, Annuals, and Perennials that Deer Seldom Browse
- Mar. 28 - Tour: Rediscover Bartholdi Park
- Apr. 5 - Tour: Explore with the Executive Director
- Apr. 13 and 27 - Demonstration: Cooking with Herbs
- April 27 - Special Event: Trees at Home
- April 29 - Lecture: Berry Me
- May 1, 8, 15, 22 - Tour: The USBG National Garden
- May 4 and 18 - Demonstration: Greens of Spring
- May 5 - Epic Tomatoes from Your Garden
- May 12 and 16 - Tour: USBG Rose Garden
- May 18 - Special Event: Trees at Home
- June 2 - Low-Maintenance Roses
- June 10 - Festival: You Can Grow It! Celebration
- June 14 - Demo: Orchid Repotting
- June 15 - Workshop: Edible Container Gardening
- June 20 - Tour: You Can Grow It!
- June 25 - Growing Musical Instruments: All About Gourds
- July 11 - Tour: You Can Grow It!
- July 15 - The Right Soil and Fertilizer: Nitrogen, Phosphate, and Potash
- July 22 - Workshop: Terrarium Making with Succulents
- August 23 - Tour: Horticultural Backstage Pass: The U.S. Botanic Garden Production Facility
- September 9 - The Fasinating World of Carnivorous Plants